The House of Hope evolved out of the interest of George Connor, a service station owner on North Park Street. He permitted alcoholic men to sleep in his station and would encourage them to get sober.
When one of his customers, a physician from White Cross Hospital, approached him about the old “Sells” mansion at the intersection of Buttles and Dennison Avenues as a potential business location, he saw that it would be ideal for a Halfway House.
In April 1959, members of the Columbus Area Council on Alcoholism, founded in 1958, met to discuss ways and means for establishing a rehabilitation center for alcoholics.
From this meeting emerged an organization, which has developed a treatment program that has been in operation since the Secretary of State chartered the House of Hope for Alcoholics, Inc. as a non-profit corporation on May 25, 1959.
Our House at 825 Dennison is now dedicated as the Thomas Ramseyer House in memory of our former executive director. He led our agency from 1983 to 2007.
In August 1996 the House of Hope Outpatient facility was established to provide substance use disorder treatment for adult men and women. In 2012 we purchased and refurbished the current building located at 1034 Harrisburg Pike.
In 2008, House of Hope opened its first recovery residence in Columbus’ south end neighborhood. House of Hope now has eight recovery residences centrally located in Columbus, Ohio.
In 2022 our name was changed from House of Hope for Alcoholics, Inc. to HOUSE OF HOPE FOR RECOVERY.
January 2023, House of Hope launched the Short-Term Stabilization Program. The average length of stay is 28 days. This program houses up to 11 men and is designed for those who need short-term stabilization.